Saturday 20 August 2011

Track workouts

Last Saturday I applied a little tip I learned from a new book I'm reading called the happiness project.

The tip is to refer back to earlier passions in life and perhaps recreate them.

I used to skateboard and rollerskate in my teens right up to 19. I lived on a quiet block and had ample space to practice. Now the purpose was to go out and have some fun. There would be a few of us there. We'd do some skate work. Sit down and chat. We rolled this round for hours. It was something I always remember fondly.

So I decided that my quick efficient workouts were quite frankly, cold and boring.

So I decided that as I had the whole of Saturday available I'd go down to our Local leisure centre and just hang out.

I started on the track.  I decided to keep my technique identical to my distance running. That way all the muscles used were the same, thereby not giving the body a shocking overloaded surprise.

The pace was quicker than my distance running but falling well short of sprinting.  I thought I'd shoot for 6 runs. So I did some slow laps. Then stretched on the steeple chase bars. Then I did some upper body workouts on the bars.

I soon realised that I'd discovered something really enjoyable. In the gym there is this tiny stretching, freestyle area. But on the track that wasn't being used I had masses of space.

I took my time with the faster runs. I stretched and worked out in between runs. There were no time constraints at all.

Then I managed 10 runs. More than I'd ever done since starting 9 months ago. This was also only my 4th time on the track due to previous injuries on the track. I felt I could have done another 10 but left it sensible.

I followed this workout with Tai Chi practice.  I followed that with my gym workout.

It was such a buzz to train all afternoon.

By keeping the track work sensible, fun and without time limits it became amazing fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment