Saturday 15 January 2011

Wheels have come off a bit

Lost a lot of momentum in the last few months.

The introduction of sprints has set me back twice now. Sprints are a lot more unforgiving if your body isn't strong enough to withstand the power and pace.

I'm currently hobbling around on my second injury. Its my own fault. I didn't listen to the signs that I wasn't fully ready for sprinting that day. My body was tired. Also I find if the track is occupied I get detracted and end up over-doing things instead of reading my body. It was a miserable day and I was still only a week into my training after a bad bout of flu.

I was applying what I learnt from the hamstring injury but there was still more to learn. After the Hamstring injury I backed right off on the pace I was doing. I had a good round of sprints the week before my recent injury.

But before Wednesday's sprint I'd re-introduced squats for the first time in 3 years. My legs weren't fully recovered from it.

So my tip to myself is listen very carefully to your body before running on the track. Listen even more carefully during and after each sprint. If in doubt walk off the track.

The injuries I've received from sprinting have been quite nasty and put me out of being able to walk naturally for days. The key is to realise you are using a lot of power. A lot more than you realise. If something goes you are still in momentum with that power.

I have no idea if I'll ever be able to give it my everything. Maybe after many many months of training I can have a peek for 50 meters.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a metaphor for an emotional wound... Love it, for what it means - and what it could mean.

    ReplyDelete