Sunday 24 July 2011

running Until your 100 - book review



Running Until You're 100
Running Until You're 100
by Jeff Galloway
Edition: Paperback
Availability: Currently unavailable

5.0 out of 5 stars great book using the run/walk method3 Oct 2010

I was immediately intrigued by the title of this book as I'd just started running again but was looking for a way not to aggravate a knee injury.

I jumped immediately to the run/walk method. Just for the logic, explanation and case studies on this method buy this book.

I suffer from what I can determine illiotibial band problems. It kicks in at a time when it feels the repetitive motion is too much. For each person I think the reaction is different. For me it feels like I have zero support from my knee. The knee feels it will continually go back like a chicken leg. It got so bad that I stopped running for 9 years. Any attempt to start up again ended in the same symptoms.

I then discovered barefoot running. This was supposedly a safer way to run. I have currently built myself up to 6.6 miles barefoot. By using the run walk interval method I have managed to prevent any re-occurrence of my knee issue. Every run now helps me gain in confidence. The mini walk break takes out the stressor and keeps you a happy runner.

He uses a chart to determine which run/walk break to use according to you fastest single mile run.

I build myself up from beginning with a 2 minute walk.( He recommends this to do stretches).
I then do 1/1 minute * 2. Then 2 minute run 30 sec break. I keep adding a minute until I get to 4 minutes. I do that twice. The 5 minutes I do that twice. Then 1 six minute. I try sustaining on 7 min run 30 second walk. Occasionally I'll creep up to 9 min unintentionally.

I'm currently trying to run on tarmac a bit further and I've extended my run from 5.2 to 6.0 miles. I found dropping back to 5 min/ 30 sec split at the end of the run made me feel I was being sensible. Once I build up confidence in the ability to run it effortlessly I will continue.

I definitely find I've got plenty of energy afterwards. I go do my gym workout after my run.

The book contains other useful information. I found the info on stretching interesting as well.


Two very good barefoot books are:

Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes

The barefoot running bible so far is Michael Sandler's Barefoot Running. Barefoot Running: How to Run Light and Free by Getting in Touch with the Earth 

No comments:

Post a Comment